Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Receiving My Call

Once upon a time, President Thomas S. Monson changed the sister missionary age. And I decided to serve. A couple of months later, on December 5, 2012, I got a big white envelope in the mail. And this is what it said. 

Dear Sister Porter, 
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Philippines Laoag Mission. You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, April 10, 2013. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Tagalog language. 
Sincerely, Thomas S. Monson

And so it began. The moving, the shopping, the sewing, the preparing, the attempts to understand the language, not necessarily in that order. Next week, I leave everything behind to serve the people of the Philippines for 18 months. Some people ask why I'm sacrificing so much time and money. Well, the word 'sacrifice' implies I'm leaving something I have for something I want less. That could not be farther from the truth. 

So ready or not, here I go. Laoag or bust! 

(Soon to be Sister) Amy Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment